Monday, November 12, 2007

This was a Triumph!

So, I finished Portal this weekend, and can only reiterate what everyone has already said - a mind-bending and delightful way to spend two hours.

I can't remember the last time I laughed out loud so many times playing a game. There's a rich vein of science comedy that Valve do better than pretty much anyone else in the world, and the plot and script just got better and better right up until the tantalising credits (which surely deserve some kind of Bafta or something - I'm currently rewatching it on youtube twice a day).

If I have a criticism, it's that I'm not sure that the Portal gun alone is enough to support a sequel. By the last third of the game, I felt like it had already laid out its bag of tricks onto the table, and I was simply repeating the same mechanics in slightly different situations, and the final challenge was really more about exposition than play.

Still, that Half Life 2: Portal mod seems to have.. uh, potential, eh kids?

No comments: